Aerobic exercise is any activity that can be practised continuously over a longer period. It is a type of exercise that works the body at the lower end of the target heart rate zone causing the heart and lungs to adapt by becoming stronger. There are dozens of Aerobic exercises. Some of the best aerobic exercises are as follows:
One of the best exercises for enhancing cardiovascular fitness is simple walking. A person can do it anywhere, any time, and under any weather conditions. It is one of the simplest and most available aerobic exercises. You can vary the intensity to match your fitness level. Other than walking shoes, it does not require any special equipment. You can walk almost anywhere. This makes walking easy to continue throughout the year. Walking is a good choice for starting their first exercise program or find other exercises too hard on their joints.
To make your walking most effective, follow these instructions:
- Find a quarter-mile outdoor track and walk briskly for 1 mile. Time yourself and see how long it takes to you to walk a mile.
- Walk one mile at least 3-4 times/week when you begin and continue to time yourself.
- To increase your cardiovascular fitness as well as the calories you burn, you can wear a backpack full of books or carry 1-21bs. weights in each hand. There are plenty of other aerobic activities to enhance cardiovascular fitness.
Cycling is best for individuals who are unable to walk due to arthritic or other orthopedic problems for an extended period of time without pain or difficulty. People with lower-body circulation problems who experience significant calf pain during walking usually find cycling less difficult although a monitored walking program may help reduce the claudication . A program that combines walking and cycling may provide cardiovascular benefits without inducing the limiting pain as quickly. Cycling is also a good choice for people who are 50 to 100 pounds overweight. It helps the heart without the mechanical stress on the back, hips, knees and ankles that walking causes.The main advantages of Cycling are
- Cycling exercises the heart better than walking without the pounding of jogging.
- One can ride a bicycle almost anywhere, at any time of the year, and at low cost.
- Little or no time has to be lost, as bike travel can be used to get to work, perform errands, or enjoy the outdoors.
- Commuting by bike reduces pollution that causes asthma and bronchitis. A commuting cyclist is also less exposed to air pollution than a commuting motorist.
3. Swimming Activities
Swimming is a superb aerobic exercise. Thousands of people are exercising in the water these days, not just to keep cool but because of the innumerable benefits. Low-impact water workouts combine cardiovascular exercises with strength training, with little risk of injury. Because of waters buoyancy and the body support it provides, joint, muscle, and bone injuries are almost eliminated. People also benefit from the 90 percent apparent weight loss that occurs when they are submerged in shoulder-deep water. This feeling of weight loss gives exercisers the sense they can accomplish more. But considerations should be made before starting a program. For the exercise beginner, low-fit, or non-swimmer it might be a difficult activity to maintain for the recommended 30 to 60 minutes. Also, due to the full body motion, one can easily exceed their target heart rate range with swimming. Water aerobics and water walking are good alternatives for those with joint pain. The buoyancy provided by the water eases stress on the joints.